As a part of efforts to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus COVID-19, the National Museum of Modern Art, Kyoto will be temporarily closed on February 29th (Sat), 2020 - March 16th (Mon), 2020.
The National Museum of Modern Art, Kyoto (MOMAK) was opened to the public on October 26, 1986 with a total floor area of 9,761.99㎡ and an exhibition area of 2,604.94㎡.
MOMAK is a national institution devoted to the collection and preservation of artworks and related reference materials of the twentieth century in Japan and other parts of the world. Particular emphasis is placed on artists or artistic movements in Kyoto and the Kansai area (the western region of Japan), such as Japanese-style paintings of the Kyoto School, with an overview of the mainstreams of Japanese modern art and craft movements as well as works from all over the world covering every genre of the crafts.
The Collection Gallery is comprised special themed sub-exhibitions that are synchronized with concurrent exhibitions or presents the Museum's research results. It also acts as a site for workshops and other educational programs organized by the Museum.
* Address: Okazaki Enshoji-cho, Sakyo-ku, Kyoto City, 606-8344
* Tel.: +81-(0)75-761-4111
* Access: 10-minute walk from Higashiyama Station on the Tozai Subway Line
* Entrance Fees: Adults: 420yen, University Students: 130yen, Children under 18 and Seniors (65 and over): Free
The price of admission for special and traveling exhibitions differ between each exhibition.
Admission to exhibitions includes admission to the Collection Gallery.
* Free Admission Days (Collection Gallery only): 5/18-19, 6/30, 8/25, 9/1, 10/27, 11/3
* Wheelchair Accessible: Yes
* Hours: Regular hours 9:30 - 17:00 (Admission until 16:30)
Evening hours 9:30 - 20:00 (Admission until 19:30) (Every Friday, during 4/13-8/17 excepted 5/18, 6/29 and 7/6)
*Evening hour is also available on 8/16 (Thu.)
* Closed: Mondays and New Year holidays
(If the Monday is a national holiday, the museum is closed the following Tuesday excepted 5/1, 7/17 and 8/13)
* The museum will be closed for renovation from December 25 to March 15, 2013.
* Closed due to the replacement of exhibits: 5/15, 7/3, 8/28, 10/30
* Website: http://www.momak.go.jp/English/