This is the Japan's first museum devoted to manga. It offers a stunning array of materials with everything from 19th-century Japanese magazines and books to popular contemporary works from Japan and abroad. The museum carries roughly 300,000 manga and manga-related materials including survey research. Special exhibitions are also held here. In addition, the museum serves as a library. Visitors may also want to stop by the museum shop and cafe.
Built in 1929, the manga museum building was originally used as an elementary school and still retains something of that appearance.
* Address: Karasuma-Oike, Nakagyo-ku, Kyoto City, 604-0846
* Tel.: +81-(0)75-254-7414
* Fax.: +81-(0)75-254-7424
* Access: 2-minute walk from Karasuma-Oike Subway Station on the Karasuma Line or Tozai Line
* Entrance Fees: Adults: 800 yen, Junior High and High School Students: 300 yen, Elementary School Students: 100 yen, Children: Free
* Wheelchair Accessible: Yes
* Hours: 10:00 - 18:00 (Admission until 17:30)
* Closed: Wednesdays, New Year holidays and maintenance period
(If the Wednesday is a national holiday, the museum is closed the following Thursday)
* Website: http://www.kyotomm.jp/english/